Grand Expedition Yak vs. Traveler's Tundra Mammoth?
Dragoon

I have now horded enough gl0d to purchase the yak. I really like the umbrella on top, but mostly the repair oppertunity it gives.

Being notoriously stingy, I think 108.000 is A LOT! for that sum i could buy the mammoth and get the same perk, along with all the pets I still havent got from the AH.

What would you do? Is 92K (the difference from Mammoth to Yak) a decent price for an umbrella up top?

I do not use much time trading and farming gold, so this is a lot of money for me.

Aah 90 restoration shaman Andúril 85 protection warrior Thimbleberry 90 feral druid Madhatter 90 hunter
Re: Grand Expedition Yak vs. Traveler's Tundra Mammoth?

Dragoon

I like the yaks a lot aesthetically, although I found the jerkiness of their movement to be a bit off-putting. On the plus side, they're a lot less cumbersome than mammoths, which get caught on everything if you're not careful. It sucks having to dismount and remount just to get through a doorway in some cities!

The yak is a good looking status symbol, and the vendor functionality is a huge plus, especially when levelling alts where you end up with masses of quest rewards in your bags to process. Reforging on the fly is a nice idea, but personally I always end up in a city after I've finished a raid and picked up potential loot. As such, I'd struggle to find many uses for portable reforging aside from perhaps alts again, but I tend to level quickly enough that reforging a levelling item is a waste of gold.

That brings me on to my next point - the actual use of the mount. These days we can fly just about everywhere, and the only time that land mounts really come into play are BGs and levelling. As I said before, the yak is really valuable for levelling in regards of the vendor aspect, but a mammoth serves the same purpose. In battlegrounds, whilst the novelty of carrying other raid members with you can be fun, choppers are probably better suited for that due to their size!

I suppose it comes down to how much you think you can get out of the mount. The main bonus is the repair, which a mammoth can also offer. If you plan on levelling alts a lot, then both the vendor acccess and the aesthetics count for a lot, and I'd strongly consider taking the expensive option based on the sheer use it would be getting. I personally don't utilise land mounts enough. Levelling an alts takes me less than a weekend from 85-90, and then I'll just be flying that character everywhere for 1 1/2 years until the next expansion hits.

Conclusion: Yak looks awesome, movement might annoy some. Great investment if you will level a few alts or just generally like roaming the countryside. Vendor is a huge plus, reforger is a nice token but perhaps not world-changing.

Just my 2 copper. Good luck with the choice, Aah!

Aka Caelestes
Re: Grand Expedition Yak vs. Traveler's Tundra Mammoth?
Dragoon

Thanks Em, nice feedback.

Your point about levelling lots of alts kinda hit it home really, as I won't do that. There's so much to do with Aah that will keep me busy for hopefully a long time.

I opted for the Mammoth, and got 5 Pandaria mounts, 15 rare pets along with Vial of the Sands and the mekgineer chopper, and still have 16K of spare change. Really like big mounts, and the mammoth is sliiiightly smaller than the yak, but hey, i am happy. Being an achievement whore I got quite a few completed this way as well. Oh, and a Kirin Tor ring as well!

Aah 90 restoration shaman Andúril 85 protection warrior Thimbleberry 90 feral druid Madhatter 90 hunter